Ron is a super nice guy and owner of UBI. Here he is helping me set up my triangle for brazing.So, I left the shop in a daze around 7:30pm and saw David getting on his bike. I told him to wait and so we rode up the mountain hard partly on gravel and sucked wind for about a 1000 feet. Then we went down Morton Street. This is a crazy street that goes down the mountain at a 20% grade! (Or up if you want to ride it!). We then headed for Dead Indian Memorial Hwy which is the 12 miles up that Ariel and I rode the other day. It was serious stress relief but it was getting dark so we turned around.
In the middle of this cathartic release of tension, talking to people and Ron helping me measure up my frame for brazing I realized that for the past 10 years I thought that the size of a bike frame was the top tube length instead of the seat tube length. I have no idea where I came up with this other than when I got my Pinarello (my first bike as an adult) that this size was determined and fit me very well. So, now I am the biggest MORON on the face of the earth--going to bike school without knowing this very important fact and the combination of all these conversations I had tonight being a total ephipany! Needless to say I made my bike about a size too small so my bubble has been burst a bit. The geometry is different because it is a cross bike so I am hoping that it works out ok in the end once I get it all put together. This was the bad part of the day. In any event below you can see my nicely brazed head tube with my fancy lugs. It will eventually be cleaned up. Even if it doesn't fit it will at least look pretty.

No comments:
Post a Comment